Friday, May 9, 2014

New Direction

I've been thinking for awhile about taking my blog in a new direction. The biggest issue with decision is that it never had a direction to begin with. I ramble a lot about writing. Occasionally I do a review of a tv show or book. I just don't have a niche to work in that will draw readers back regularly. 

What I do have is an eclectic personality that loves to learn and loves to share that knowledge. In all of my internet searching I've found several men's lifestyle sites that I enjoy frequenting. My personal favorite is www.artofmanliness.com. I realized that I love that format but I'm far from an expert in these kinda of things. I'm definitely not knowledgeable about men's fashion. A polo and jeans and I'm as dressed up as I ever get. And that's when it occurred to me where I wanted to go.

I'm not an expert. I'm not even a novice at most things. But I do love to learn and try new things and I'm sure that there are other men out there like me who would enjoy watching me relay what I learn. The next question was where to start.

Amidst all of my searching I found a list of manly skills written by Robert Littell in 1933. Writing for Harper's Magazine he composed a list of things that he felt every young man should know. Some of them are a little dated but I feel that most of them are still valid. Here is what Mr. Littell considers of most importance. 

  • Swim
  • Handle firearms
  • Speak in public
  • Cook
  • Typewrite
  • Ride a horse
  • Drive a car
  • Dance
  • Drink
  • And speak at least one foreign language well
Now, we can probably agree that horse riding isn't as relevant for the modern gentleman as it once was. Also, driving a car is so ubiquitous to the American lifestyle I think we can scratch it off the list. That still leaves us a nice little, see what I did there, list of things to work on. Some of them I have experience with but I'm far from an expert at any of them. I would also like to add to and expand on this list. Here is what I think every man should know how to do. 

  • Swim
  • Handle firearms
  • Speak in public
  • Cook
  • Typewrite
  • Sew
  • Defend himself
  • Dance
  • Drink
  • And speak at least one foreign language well
  • Be fit
  • Handle tools/small projects 
  • Play an instrument
  • Hunt
  • Make a budget
  • Have a hobby
It's important look dapper while defending oneself. 

Ok, that seems like a much more extensive list but I think a lot of it can be grouped into categories. 

  • Fitness- swimming, weightlifting, etc. 
  • Self Defense- firearms
  • Life Skills- cooking, sewing, typewriting, making a budget and the occasional drink. 
  • Crafts- tools, projects
  • Hobbies- dancing, musical instruments.
  • Speak a foreign language. 
  • Hunt- what could be more manly?
Ok, that seems a little more manageable. Like I said, I can do a few things on this list. Obviously I play an instrument and my wife will tell you that I have too many hobbies. I can cook well enough if I have a recipe but my craft skills are beginner level at best. And dancing? Forget about it. 

I have never looked this happy while doing carpentry. 


So here is my goal for life which is to be chronicled in this blog. I want to start tackling this list. It would certainly behoove me to learn another language. I would also love to be more self sufficient with skills like sewing. I have several pants missing buttons that I can practice on. You can look for simple projects to tackle yourself. You'll get to see my mistakes as a newbie hunter and hopefully learn from them. 

Step one. Blend in. Got it. 


If you have been enjoying my reviews fear not, I intend to keep them up. I've spun them off into a new blog at www.forgottenshows.blogspot.com. I will be getting back to Blakes 7 soon enough. I've also been putting in time watching Farscape by request from my brother in law and I've got my wife hooked on The Unit. 

Ok, that's all for now. I have a wedding to get to and a list of manly skills to learn. Happy Mother's Day weekend to you all. Stay manly. 


No comments:

Post a Comment