Sunday, January 27, 2013

Lets talk caveman

So, it's been forever and a day since I posted a blog. I suppose that you want to hear about how the last year and a half has gone for us. Or maybe you want to hear about my writing. I have still Ben doing that when I've had time. Maybe you want to know my thoughts about gun control or other current events. Heaven knows I'm full of opinions about politics, the economy and guns. But I don't want to talk about those things today. Not to say that I won't blog about all of them later. After all it has been a busy year or so and I do have several books coming out. One was just published this weekend. Today though I want to write about something that could get a punch on my man card. Today we're talking about baking. Yep. Muffins.

Friends and family probably already know that Hannah and I are doing a 12 week Body Evolve Challenge. Essentially it's a way to ease into the Paleo diet. What is the Paleo diet? Well that brings us to the caveman part of our lesson. The paleo diet boils down to this, if cavemen ate it then you can eat it. On the menu are meats, fruits, vegetables, and nuts. With the exception of peanuts and cashews. That's it. No grains, dairy, beans, or taters. So, what do cavemen and baking have to do with each other? Easy. It's hard to bake without grains and I'm not good at giving up muffins. So, what's a modern caveman supposed to do? Make his own dang flour to bake with. In this case out of nuts. So that's what I did. Armed with a blender and a bag of pecans I went to work. I ground them up as fine as I could, which wasn't as fine as I'd like, and got busy. Here is the recipe I used and the final product.

1 cup pecan flour
¾ cup coconut flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
2 eggs
¼ cup coconut oil
¼ cup honey
1 cup coconut milk

Mix all the wet and dry ingredients separately the whisk together. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. I also sprinkled some coconut sugar and cinnamon in the mix. They came out moist and semi sweet. We drizzled them with honey and they were delicious. Low carb. Gluten free. Chock full of protein. What more could you want? But where can I get all of these things so I can make these myself? Well, surprisingly the coconut milk and sugar came from Brookshires. The coconut flour we had to get from Fiesta our local health food store. Well, thats all I've got for now. I'll be back as soon as I can to update you on all the more interesting things going on in our lives.



No comments:

Post a Comment