Sunday, August 25, 2013

Vegan/Paleo Breakfast on the Go

I don't know about you but breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. I'm also a big fan of bread products as part of my breakfast. You can see the dilemma for a modern cave man. No bread allowed! Well, sorta. You can have breads. Provided they aren't grain based. No wheat. No oats. No corn. No rice. Among others. 

If you are scratching your head right now then it's ok. I've been there. You can have breads made out of nuts or coconut flour. Usually you have to make this from scratch. Needless to say this takes time. Something most of us don't have in abundance in the morning. That is why the good Lord made microwaves. I maintain that food should either be grilled or made in the microwave. Yes Lord! So, here is a five, ish, minute recipe for a simple breakfast cake that can be made gluten free, paleo or vegan with very little work. In the interest of fairness you should know that I stole this recipe. I'll post the link to the original at the end. Ok, here goes. 5 Minute Coffee Cake in a cup.

Ingredients needed.
1 TBSP of Butter. If making vegan I would sub coconut oil.
2 TBSP of coconut sugar.
1 Egg. Vegan- sub 1 TBSP flax seed and 3 TBSP water.
2 TBSP coconut or almond milk.
1/4 Cup flour of choice.
1/8 TSP Baking Powder
Cinnamon
Vanilla Extract. No imitation vanilla! 

1. Melt butter.
2. Mix in coconut sugar until creamy.
3. Mix in egg or flaxseed substitute.
4. Add in milk of choice and optional splash of vanilla.
5. Add in flour. I use half coconut and half brown rice. Not true paleo I know but hey, it's what I like.
6. Add in baking powder.
7. Sprinkle in optional cinnamon as desired.
8. Mix well.
9. Microwave 1-1 1/2 minutes on high. Voila!

You can do this in a coffee mug or a paper bowl. If you opt to use a coffee mug I highly recommend you use Pam spray first. Trust me, I have gotten in trouble over this before. The original recipe has a crumble topping that you can make. I've never tried it. I usually use honey and I have an organic hazelnut spread I want to try. 

Well, there it is folks. Paleo on the go. Can easily be made vegan and is naturally gluten free. Let me know how you enjoy it. Follow the link at the bottom for the original recipe. 

 http://prudentbaby.com/2011/10/entertaining-food/a-cup-of-coffee-cake-in-under-five-minutes-2/


No comments:

Post a Comment