Sunday, October 20, 2013

Book Review: Last Man on Earth Club

Picture

Book Description:

Six people are gathered for a therapy group deep in the countryside. Six people who share a unique and terrible trauma: each one is the last survivor of an apocalypse.

My initial plan was to do a review of book 2 of the Medair Duology before any others but I tend to get distracted in my reading. I'm in the process of re-reading that series and I wanted to finish that before I did a follow up review. Before I get around to that I decided to do a quick review of one of my new favorite books. The Last Man on Earth Club.

From the description:

Six people are gathered for a therapy group deep in the countryside. Six people who share a unique and terrible trauma: each one is the last survivor of an apocalypse.

Each of them was rescued from a parallel universe where humanity was wiped out. They’ve survived nuclear war, machine uprisings, mass suicide, the reanimated dead, and more. They’ve been given sanctuary on the homeworld of the Interversal Union and placed with Dr. Asha Singh, a therapist who works with survivors of doomed worlds.

To help them, she’ll have to figure out what they’ve been through, what they’ve suffered, and the secrets they’re hiding. She can’t cure them of being the last man or woman on Earth. But she can help them learn to live with the horrors they survived.

The basic premise is that instead of developing faster than light travel and exploring the galaxy humans develop the means to explore multiple dimensions. In each is a variation of Earth and the Human race. From time to time however an Earth is discovered that is in danger of destruction. To this end counselors are kept on hand by a sort of Interdimensional UN to counsel survivors. The characters in this story are in the unique position of being the sole survivors of their "earth".

I have to admit up front that I love this book. I'm on my third read through as we speak. Each character comes from a unique world. Minor spoilers, I've listed each character below and their own apocalypse.

Olivia- survivor of a zombie apocalypse.

Katie- survivor of a human/machine war.

Pew- last of a race that was hunted to extinction.

Iokan- survivor of mass suicide.

Kwame- survivor of a nuclear war and possible instigator.

Liss- survivor of a world filled with superheroes. A world where everyone submultaneously turned to ash.

Fair warning, this book is almost entirely character driven. If you are looking for over the top action and explosions then this isn't the place. I do know several that meet that description however. Don't mistake slower for boring however. I was hooked from the first page.

If you like your science fiction to make you think then this is the book for you. It is available everywhere ebooks are sold or just click the link at the bottom. PTSD will never seem the same to you again.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/61144?ref=SFelkel

No comments:

Post a Comment