Thursday, February 27, 2014

Sorry Honey It's Thursday

I'm gonna try a slightly different format for this post. Instead of just going through the day I'm going to split it into sections. Work, writing, fitness and misc. 

Work:
Beginning band is still moving along. I have my lone clarinet working on simple technique stuff. I've started my brass players on long tones and lip slurs sooner than I normally would. It's a catch 22 doing that. Long Tones, Lip Slurs and Scales will improve playing faster than anything else but you have to sorta know what's going on to do them. Oddly enough though it's working at least semi well. 

Junior High was a wash. The National Honors Society was having their induction ceremony on stage right outside the band room. That put the kabosh on us playing since the last thing my room is is soundproof. Luckily they were able to control their natural inclination to yell at the top of their lungs for the thirty minutes I had them. Yes, by the time they walk up to my building I have about thirty minutes with them before they have to walk back. 

Fourth block, my advanced band, started off a little rough. I had to resist the urge to lose my patience with them. Again, it's not really their playing it's their constant lack of attention. I honestly felt like I was just going through the motions. Ok band let's do exercise 1A. Ok lip slur 2. E Major Scale. But we muddled through and actually made some good progress. Still have not worked all the way through Contempo and that scares the snot out of me. 

Two days till Spring Break. I'm very ready for some time off. I'm scared of having to make up that lost time before festival. We have two weeks from the time we get back to get ready. In that time I believe we also have ACT testing. I think. I'll have to check on that. 

Had a little down time between school and choir rehearsal at the church. Arrant came into my office to do paperwork so I forced him to watch Blakes 7.  I don't think I've made a fan but my indoctrination shall continue. Perhaps I should do a rewatch of the series and post some reviews here. 

Made it to church right at 5:30. I was on track to be early but I got caught on a conference call before I left Farmerville. Man. Found a new song for my choir based on Beulah Land. It's cute as all get out. It's also hard as can be. But we've got it worked out. Mostly. Made it home by 7:30 for some red beans and rice. Dang my wife can cook some RB&B! Had a busy night scheduled of catching up on Pretty Little Liars, Greys Anatomy and Scandal. Yes. All chick shows. I'm secure enough for that. 


Fitness:
Today is a rest and recovery day. For some people that means lots of stretching, mobility stuff and some light exercise. I tend to prefer total rest. I'll do stretches and mobility on an as need basis. I do up my calories somewhat on recovery days. If your body is putting itself back together you have to give it materials to work with and time to do its job. That's just me though. Your mileage may vary. I still have to figure out when I'm going to work out tomorrow. AM or PM? 

Writing:
Got a thousand words done on Thorn in the Side. I'm hoping to get another 9,000-12,000 words done on it for Issue 2. I need to do some heavy revisions to Thy Judgment Come. The rough draft is finished but rough is the right word. It has plot holes, bad grammar and uneven dialogue. Probably gonna have to add a few scenes to make it work. Ah well. All part of the job. 

But Creepercasts review of Carrier is up. You can find it at http://www.creepercast.com/carrier-by-stewart-felkel-review/
I'm very pleased with this review and this is a site with a fair sized following. Hopefully it will generate some interest. Still very much in the name building phase of my writing endeavor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment